Pages

Saturday, July 27, 2013

“I am not He, but He made me!”

I asked the earth, 
and it answered me, 
“I am not He.”

I asked the sea and the deeps
and they answered, 
“We are not Thy God, 
seek above us.”

I asked the moving air; 
and the whole air with his inhabitants answered, 
“I am not God.”

I asked the heavens, 
sun, moon, stars, 
and they said,
“Nor are we the God you seek.”

And I replied unto all the things which encompass my senses: 
“You have told me of my God, 
that you are not He ...
tell me something of Him.”

And they cried out with a loud voice

“He made us!”
...

My questioning them, was my thoughts on them: 
and their form of beauty gave the answer. 
...

And I turned myself unto myself, 
and said to myself, 
“Who art thou?” 

And I answered, 
“A man.”

And behold, 
in me there present themselves to me 

soul
and
body

one without,
the other within...

By which of these ought I to seek my God?
...

I had sought Him in the body 

from 
earth 
to 
heaven

so far as I could send messengers, 
the beams of mine eyes.
...

But 
the better is the inner...
for to it 
were reported the answers of 

heaven 
and 
earth

and all things therein, 
who said, 

“We are not God, 
but He made us.”
...

These things did my inner man know 
by the ministry of the outer

I the inner
knew them

I the mind
through the senses of my body
....

I asked the whole of the world about my God
and it answered me...

“I am not He, 
but 
He made me!”


No comments:

Post a Comment