Pages

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Two Hearts beating as one

"So you have sorrow now, but I will see you again and your hearts will rejoice, and no one will take your joy from you."
 – John 16:22


As I was plodding through the snow today and began to grow weary, I could feel my heart beginning to pound harder. As I searched for inner strength to take my next step, an image came to mind.

I have been meditating on the Sacred Heart of Jesus by way of the Chaplet of Divine Mercy. The essence is to transform one's own heart into the heart of Jesus; or to ask Jesus to enter into one's body so that His Sacred Heart beats in place of one's own.

I have also been meditating on the Immaculate Heart of Mary. As I mentioned previously, I repeat the words of the Virgin at Lourdes, "I am the Immaculate Conception" ten times, while meditating on her Immaculate Heart.

Today as I felt drained of energy, I imagined that both Mary's Heart and Jesus' Heart were beating in my chest. As my left foot stepped forward it was Mary's Heart beating, and as my right foot stepped forward in the snow it was Jesus' Heart beating in my chest.

First the blood pumped through Mary's tender Heart. It was warmed and filled with a mother's love. And then the blood pumped through Jesus' Heart where it was fortified and strengthened.

Together, they lifted my spirits and gave me the inner strength to continue.

And then my mind turned to Saint Paul, who has been in my thoughts lately. After many years of shunning the teachings of the Apostle, I have come to sympathize with him and appreciate his great personal sacrifice and his love for the early Church.

I imagine that he himself must have felt the Sacred Heart of Jesus beating within him. How else could he have persevered for so many years – journeying to so many distant lands? And in his love for his fellow brothers and sisters in Christ, he must have also felt beating within him the tender heart of Our Lady.
"We have heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and of the love which you have for all the saints.... We have not ceased to pray for you, asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding to lead a life worthy of the Lord."
 – The Letter of Saint Paul to the Colossians 1:4,9-10
Those two hearts that shared one body during Mary's pregnancy, reshaped the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment