Pages

Thursday, February 10, 2011

O Trinity that I adore

"Lord, teach us to pray."
 – Luke 11:1


O Trinity that I adore
© Public Vigil 2011
(Lyrics based on Prayer to the Holy Trinity by Blessed Elizabeth of the Trinity)

O my God
Trinity that I adore
Let me forget myself
That I might abide in you
Be still and peaceful my soul
We are in eternity
Let nothing disturb my peace
Nor keep me apart from you
O God, let each moment take me
Deeper into your mystery!

Pacify my soul!
Make it your heaven
Your beloved home
And I’ll never leave you alone

O my Christ
Crucified for love
Would that I might be
The spouse of your heart!
I would anoint you with glory
I would love you unto death!
Yet I sense my frailty
And I ask you to adorn me with yourself

Submerge me, overwhelm me
Substitute yourself in me
That my life may become
A reflection of your life

O Eternal Word
Word of my God
Would that I might spend my life
Listening to you
Would that I might be receptive
And learn all from you
In darkness and in loneliness
May I ever keep my eyes fixed on your great light

O my Beloved Star
Fascinate me
So that I may never leave your radiance

O Father, bestow yourself
Bend down to your little creature
Seeing in her
Only your beloved Son
O my ‘Three’
My All, my Beatitude
Infinite Solitude,
In whom I lose myself
Enclose yourself in me
That I may be absorbed in you
So as to contemplate
In your light the abyss of your greatness!

O Consuming Fire
Spirit of Love
Descend into my soul
And make all in me an incarnation of the Word




Blessed Elizabeth of the Trinity
Prayer to the Holy Trinity


“O my God, Trinity whom I adore, let me entirely forget myself that I may abide in you, still and peaceful as if my soul were already in eternity; let nothing disturb my peace nor separate me from you, O my unchanging God, but that each moment may take me further into the depths of your mystery ! Pacify my soul! Make it your heaven, your beloved home and place of your repose; let me never leave you there alone, but may I be ever attentive, ever alert in my faith, ever adoring and all given up to your creative action.

O my beloved Christ, crucified for love, would that I might be for you a spouse of your heart! I would anoint you with glory, I would love you – even unto death! Yet I sense my frailty and ask you to adorn me with yourself; identify my soul with all the movements of your soul, submerge me, overwhelm. me, substitute yourself in me that my life may become but a reflection of your life. Come into me as Adorer, Redeemer and Saviour.

O Eternal Word, Word of my God, would that I might spend my life listening to you, would that I might be fully receptive to learn all from you; in all darkness, all loneliness, all weakness, may I ever keep my eyes fixed on you and abide under your great light; O my Beloved Star, fascinate me so that I may never be able to leave your radiance.

O Consuming Fire, Spirit of Love, descend into my soul and make all in me as an incarnation of the Word, that I may be to him a super-added humanity wherein he renews his mystery; and you O Father, bestow yourself and bend down to your little creature, seeing in her only your beloved Son in whom you are well pleased.

O my `Three’, my All, my Beatitude, infinite Solitude, Immensity in whom I lose myself, I give myself to you as a prey to be consumed; enclose yourself in me that I may be absorbed in you so as to contemplate in your light the abyss of your greatness!”

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful piece!

    Also, while reading the prayer to the Holy spirit, I remembered this psalm:

    http://www.annunciation.org/shepard.html
    (Psalm 23)

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your absolutely right Ride. This prayer is one with the Psalms. After reading "Fire Within" I have a new outlook on the Psalms. I used to read them literally, but now I see them as prayers of the soul. They describe an interior life in which the psalmist is in a constant conversation with God.

    After learning about deep Christian prayer through St. Teresa of Avila and St. John of the Cross from reading "Fire Within" by Father Dubay, I realize that the Prayer to the Holy Trinity by Blessed Elizabeth of the Trinity is a distillation – a crystallization – of the teachings on prayer of the two Carmelite saints. It should be no surprise then that Blessed Elizabeth was also a Carmelite.

    Blessed Elizabeth is speaking of the indwelling Trinity, which is within each of us. If you compare this with my next post in which I reflect on the teachings of Jesus on prayer, you can see that the two are in complete harmony. What Elizabeth expresses so beautifully is what Jesus teaches his disciples.

    "The door" that "shall be opened" is an interior door that is reached through prayer. Through it the soul comes in direct contact with the Triune God. Blessed Elizabeth gives us glimpses of what abides beyond this door.

    ReplyDelete