Pages

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

St Teresa: "We should gather in secret because this kind of talk is no longer in fashion"

"Deliver us from all evil."

These words appear to have been written by St. Teresa of Avila while she was in a spiritual ecstasy.
Nor since this morning when I received Communion do I think that it is I who am speaking. It seems that what I see is a dream... I beg ... that we may all be mad for love of Him who for love of us was called mad....

I should like the five of us who at present love each other in Christ to make a kind of pact that since others in these times gather together in secret against His Majesty to prepare wicked deeds and heresies, we might seek to gather together some time to free each other from illusion and to speak about how we might mend our ways and please God more...

I say we should gather in secret because this kind of talk is no longer in fashion. Even preachers are composing their sermons so as not to displease. They may have good intentions, and the good deeds may follow; but the result is that few try to amend!

 -- The Book of Her Life -- Ch. 16 (from Sections 6 and 7)

No comments:

Post a Comment